The black scabbard/
The dish is very common on Madeira and despite the strange combination of fish and banana, it tastes really good 🙂
Recipe (from Ocean Retreat):
Ingredients for 2 persons:
- 2 filets of black scabbard, about 200gr each
- 2 Madeira bananas
- A pinch of salt, freshly chopped oregano, and freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs (one for the fish and one for the bananas)
- Skin the fish and cut it in approximately 8cm long pieces.
- Season them with the salt, herbs, pepper and garlic.
- Prepare two bowls for the fish filets – one with flower and one with beaten egg
- Pour oil in a frying pan and heat it.
- Roll the seasoned fish filets in the flour and then in the egg.
- Fry them in the frying pan until golden brown.
- When done, drain excess oil off on paper kitchen towel.
- Prepare two bowls for the bananas – one with flower and one with beaten egg
- Peel the bananas, cut in two lengthwise.
- Roll them in the flour and then in the egg
- Fry them quickly until golden brown
- Drain excess oil with paper kitchen towel.
Serve on a plate with small potatoes and vegetables.